Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Roar By Katy Perry


Alright Music Mashers, we have a new Billboard Hot 100 Number one single! I have been waiting for Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines to be dethroned and the day is finally here!

Here we go! Katy Perry-Roar




I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath 
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything






I like the way the song 'introduces itself' so to speak. She starts out by saying she pretty much kept quiet making herself obsolete in a sort of way. I don't know about you but I can definitely relate to feeling that way.  It took someone to overpower or "push her past a breaking point" in order for her to stand up for herself! Interesting start to her new single!



You held me down, but I got up
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready cause I’ve had enough
I see it all, I see it now




Here,  she talks about HOW she escaped the feelings of oppression and  feeling like she doesn't have a voice. She stands up and DOES something about it! She feels empowered in herself and doesn't let anyone interfere or determine her self worth. Here I picture her raising her arms in triumph! Can't you?






[Chorus]

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR
Louder, louder than a lion
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You’re gonna hear me roar



Haha, nice “eye of the tiger” reference there Katy. Glad to know classic rock influence is still alive in the pop industry! Now, this is one mixed kitty cat she is comparing herself too. She’s got the eye of a tiger, but she roars louder than a lion, only because she is a champion. Interesting metaphors Katy…




Now I’m floating like a butterfly
Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes
I went from zero, to my own hero


You held me down, but I got up
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready ’cause I’ve had enough
I see it all, I see it now



I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
‘Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR
Louder, louder than a lion
‘Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You’re gonna hear me roar
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You'll hear me ROAR
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You're gonna hear me ROAR...





There are so many metaphors in this song it’s insane! Did you know that she didn’t finish high school? Yeah me either! She can reference metaphors better than most High School graduates…but we won’t go there…

Now she compares herself to a bee…AND a butterfly. Wow Katy slow down! She has a sting like a bee! Hmmm I wonder who she has stung? I don’t want to be in her way that’s for sure!

She’s her own hero? Wow Katy, don’t have to be so humble in front of your fans! No, but I do get it, she should be proud of herself for all that she has accomplished, but being her “own hero” is a little excessive.

Lyrics, I shall give you an A-. Great, inspirational message that needs to dominate the pop culture more instead of sexually driven messages that degrade our society further and further each day.

I don’t know if y’all have caught on yet, but I am a HUGE fan of Katy Perry. I love her personality and her music. I was so nervous about her new album and single. I was afraid I wouldn’t like it but she proved me wrong (thankfully!)

Musicality, your grade is also an A. Great beat, rhythm, the whole nine yards. I really look forward to her new album on Oct 22nd 2013!

Thanks for tuning in you guys; I look forward to seeing you next time!

~Katie B 






























No comments:

Post a Comment